L GBTQI In Care Award
The LGBTQI In Care Award recognises local authorities, care organisations, residential care providers, independent fostering agencies, supported accommodation providers and any other organisation providing support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans young people in care that strive to make their services fully inclusive to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans young people in care.
We are passionate about inclusion and firmly believe that all children and young people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans should be able to access the same care and resources as everyone else in a safe way without prejudice or feelings of rejection.
How do I know if an agency or local authority has an LGBTQI In Care Award?
Look out for the agencies that have this image on their website - this means we have awarded them with an LGBTQI In Care Award.
Go to our page 'LGBTQI In Care Award Database' to see a list of LGBTQI agencies and local authorities that have been awarded the LGBTQI In Care Award. We will add other agencies and local authorities as they are approved.
Can I nominate my organisation as LGBTQI Friendly?
Yes. Go to 'How to nominate' for details.
What makes an organisation LGBTQI Friendly?
The LGBTQI Friendly scheme is designed to recognise organisations or businesses that currently have an ethos of acceptance, celebrate difference and policies and practices that reflect best..... informal way to make LGBTQI young people in care feel welcome and enable them to access services within their community.
All organisations that have been awarded LGBTQI Friendly status have demonstrated that they:
- Understand that different people use alternative ways to communicate. They may use speech, signs, symbols or electronic devices to support or instead of, spoken language.
- Have a copy of the Trans toolkit that is shared with all members of staff
- Have a copy of the LGB toolkit that is shared with all members of staff
- Have trans and LGB inclusion policies
- Have an ethos of acceptance that is filtered through the agency
- Work in a holistic and child centred way when supporting a young person exploring sexual and gender identity
- Advocate for children and young people
- Provide a supportive and welcoming environment
- Deliver training to staff about supporting LGBTQI young people in care
- Support young people and staff who are LGB or T to access services
How you can help
You can help in a number of ways! Not only can you help get more organisations in your community nominated for the award but you can also:
- visit and commission LGBTQI Friendly places knowing that LGBTQI yung people users will be supported and can access the services provided
- are you a young person who is LGBTQI and in care or a care leaver? - send feedback of your experience of the care you recieved anonymously to firstname.lastname@example.org
- spread the word! Let's make sure that as many children and young people as possible benefit from being able to live in a home that accepts them!
If you would like more information about the LGBTQI Friendly Scheme, please call us on 07969007506 or email email@example.com